Tuesday, July 21, 2015

School Library Boot Camp - Learning and Teaching

The Learning and Teaching session seemed to focus on the different types of classrooms and teachers; how to shift the focus from the teacher or standards to the student. It also gave great examples of using tools to spark innovation and imagination.

I found that the Learning and Teaching session was an opportunity to be more introspective. It really made me think about what kind of classroom I have (traditional vs. standards-based vs, innovative classrooms) and/or what kind of teacher I am. I would hope that I run a student focused library, however I feel that more often than not, I am focused on meeting standards a the expense of what the students want to learn about. Although, in our library, we have noticed a correlation between what we are teaching and the books that are
being checked out. When I did a biography lesson, our biography section saw a spike in circulation.

The Student Learning Triangle was a great visual that put the ideas of Objectives, Activities, & Assessment into perspective.

I really enjoyed the Private Eye activity and can't wait to implement this activity in our library. I think that student would really get into it. Each month, week, whenever, we could rotate items and activities. One month could be fall items (a leaf, a pumpkin, a pumpkin seed, etc) and they could write adjectives about the items or make a picture of them close up.

No comments:

Post a Comment